Almost There: Running: A Couch to 5K Mid-Review

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Running: A Couch to 5K Mid-Review

(Photo from deviantart.com)



Hey, I'm running again! 

If you aren't one of my close friends that sentence probably means nothing to you, so I'll try again. 

I used to run 3 miles a day. Everyday. It was the best part about many of my days, in fact, and somewhere along the line I got out of the habit.

I started cutting back on my hobby during my first full-time job, where I worked far from ordinary hours, then cutting WAY back during grad school to pretty much no running at all. 

It's not that I've been completely lazy the last number of years since college (I don't wanna talk about how long it's been, OK?!). I mean, I've actually started back running SEVERAL times. This is how that venture always goes:
I run. It's hard. I keep running and a few days later I love it again. I'm hooked. I run everyday. BAM. Injury. (I actually have a stupid IT band issue that I have to be leery of). 

This time, I want it to count. I want to be running like I used to (and better!), but I want to ease into it. So I decided to give the ole Couch to 5K Running Plan a go, and yesterday was my half-way mark.

It's not a huge venture, but it's pretty awesome considering I tried to do this before my wedding and ended up doing week 1 four times (Hey, it was like the month before!). 

Anyway, since Almost There is all about chasing your dreams, I thought it'd be a nice time to talk about the latest aspiration I'm literally chasing. In case any of you have similar hitting the pavement goals, I thought I'd give my mid-Couch to 5K Review.

Time Consumption: A+ 

The program is basically a lot of walking mixed in with some jogging for the first few weeks. It takes 20 to 30 minutes a day, three days a week. Not really a time consuming experience. Week 1 starts off with 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for 20 minute intervals and week 4 includes a lot more running for 2 miles. 

Difficulty: A

I'm not sure if A is the right letter, but honestly, the program is a wonderful pace, I think. It's designed for the non-runner, so getting into it hasn't been such a challenge for me. They even encourage you to repeat weeks if it turns out you need more time before moving on. 

Enjoyability: A+

Of course, I might be biased since I love running, but the workouts vary every week, keeping things really fresh and interesting. 

Overall: Can you guess? A's all around!

I just love it so much. I've even started getting that "I crave running" sense back again. Ahh…young love!

Any other runners or aspiring runners reading our blog? 

—Holli Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover