Almost There: Currently Reading: Brightest Kind of Darkness

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Currently Reading: Brightest Kind of Darkness

One of my monthly resolutions is to read all the unread books currently on my Nook. That's eight books.

And that's okay.

I love talking about the books I read with others, I've decided to give a sneak peek of one of the books I'm currently reading. I'm hoping that it will make you want to read it too!

Brightest Kind of Darkness
by P.T. Michelle

Genre
Dark Paranormal YA


Synopsis
Nara Collins is an average sixteen-year-old, with one exception: every night she dreams the events of the following day. Due to an incident in her past, Nara avoids using her special gift to change fate…until she dreams a future she can’t ignore.

After Nara prevents a bombing at Blue Ridge High, her ability to see the future starts to fade, while people at school are suddenly being injured at an unusually high rate.

Grappling with her diminishing powers and the need to prevent another disaster, Nara meets Ethan Harris, a mysterious loner who seems to understand her better than anyone. Ethan and Nara forge an irresistible connection, but as their relationship heats up, so do her questions about his dark past.

Currently On
Page 340

The Characters
Oh, sweet goodness, I'm crushing on Ethan Harris. Wait, who?

He's the quiet guy that makes our main girl, Nara, feel all types of emotions. Don't worry though, Nara isn't a Bella Swan and has no foundation without him. She's a strong main character with a relatable personality and a fun paranormal twist. Her feelings for Ethan are sensible and yet unexplainable. She isn't defined by him. He's more of a very fun and sexy addition. Not to mention, I just like the guy. He's quiet, clever, and hey, he loves dogs.

The First Sentence
"For me, being surprised was like wearing my best friend's favorite shirt; cherished for its borrowed uniqueness." 

I'm a stickler for first sentences. I harp about them in The Dark Side of Writing. If they tank I'll still read on but give me an interesting first sentence and I'll read on with new vigor. I'm happy to say that this first sentence piqued my interest. 

It makes me want to know what the surprise is, especially considering that she sees the entire next day before it happens. How did she get surprised? What could do that?

The First Chapter
So, finding interest in the first sentence, I read through the first chapter. I wasn't disappointed.

The First 100 Pages
I'm going to be all sorts of honest here, I was afraid that I was walking into another Bella Swan/Edward Cullen deal. Although I am one of the few who confess to liking Twilight (the books, NOT the movies), I didn't want to read another story about a girl clearly obsessed with a "bad boy" who is all quiet and hot.

Thankfully, the first 100 pages of Brightest Kind of Darkness showed me that its story and characters were much different from sparkly vampires and clingy girls.

During the first 100 pages you get to really understand Nara and respect her as a person. Sure, she's only 16 but her experiences make her more mature and therefore, a lot more interesting to read. Ethan, although appearing to have some Edward Cullen tendencies at the very beginning, quickly becomes a solid character with issues you, as the reader, want to solve.

The plot picks up, along with suspense, and the ever-present questions regarding Nara's "predicament" and what that means, not only to her, but to all of her loved ones.

I read from the second chapter to page 340 in one sitting...and I really meant to stop at chapter three.

The Rest
Once done reading, I will put up the entire review and link here!

The Links

-Tyler Anne (aka Chick Tyler)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover